Wednesday, April 27, 2011

More Framdom Framblings

I wrote the following days ago, but didn't have a chance to publish it. Today, I had one of those WOW days at work where I was reminded exactly how special my job really is.  It is a complete honor to sit at my desk and serve PCCS.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate what was done for me today.  I was also reminded what an honor it is to teach at our school.  It is a constant reminder to me of how much loving work goes into helping students grow and learn.  That work can be frustrating at times, but I know it is all worth it because these kids are growing up and learning so much (not just about academics).  Being a part time volunteer teacher is such a joy.  I am have been so blessed to see how amazing teachers teach and they have allowed me to be part of it all!  I hope Mr DiDomenico knows that here at PCCS, students get to hear some of his wisdom every once in a while!  I could go on and on, but I already have so much in this blog post.   I hope you enjoy these framblings.... they are quite random:

I have been blessed this year to work at a job with wonderful boss, wonderful co-workers and wonderful families.  I am truly blessed for being able to do this and I hope and pray I can continue to grow and get better at my job.I know we will see some students leave us at the end of the year, but despite being somewhere else, they and their families will still be part of our family.  Each person who steps into the doors of our school on a regular basis helps shape our school.  I thank you all for making me feel welcome.  I took the place of a very wonderful and talented individual and it was daunting trying to fill those shoes.  I probably came up short of her lofty mark in many areas, but I am thankful for the opportunity to try and reach for it again every day.

Got a tweet the other day from a fellow Christian that discussed political correctness.  It got me to thinking about the idea behind political correct use of vocabulary.  When I was younger, there was a "PC" movement to try and "encourage" people to use words that were less "offensive".  Some people decided that "black people" was more offensive than "African-Americans".  Thus this movement tried to force people to use the less offensive terms.  As a reaction, many people were upset and angry at the thought that they would be told what words to use and thus became angry.  While I don't condone people telling other people what to say or do in this kind of case, I wonder "what would Jesus have thought about this?"  And my answer was simple.  He would have wanted to respect the feelings of others and use the language as best He could.  Jesus met people at their level.  If calling Robert "Bob" made Robert happier, Jesus would have called him "Bob" and not thought twice about it.  Sometimes, showing someone the love of Jesus might be as simple as using a word that makes them more comfortable.

I still can't get over how American businesses and employees do their jobs.  I had 2 experiences in which I called businesses this week and it was shocking how different the experiences were.  They were both local businesses and I will not mention the name of the less flattering one.  In both cases I wanted to obtain some information over the phone.  In the first call, I got an automated operator who gave me some options and when I didn't know what to push, I waited for an operator.  The next voice I heard was the automated operator saying "Please hang up your phone now" and then the click.  1 time through the less than extensive menu and I was hung up upon.  REALLY???  It got worse when I then drove to the place only to be ignored by the receptionist.  When I finally got his/her attention, I asked for information that was right in front of  said person and was told "not yet".  I then stood there trying to sign language my request in hopes that this person could give me 3 more seconds of attention and I must have done a good job since I was then handed the "not yet available" information.  Then to top it off, I was at another local business that same day when this information was given to someone with me watching.  Now, the second business I called answered the phone a few minutes before they were even open.  The lady told me what I was inquiring about was not on the menu yet but offered to call me when it was put on.  This person did a few little things that were not expected but showed a tremendous focus on excellent customer service.  Thank you "Mister Wings" for making me feel like there is still quality customer service out there!

This video clip is not really recommended for kids (although it isn't awful and should be safe for work).  This was a clip from the show "Yes, Dear" that happened years ago but became a TON more funny with the understanding that this happened BEFORE Tiger's downfall.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48_CkFdTPTM  That line also reminded me of one of the most ironic TV moments of all time which was John Belushi on Saturday Night Live going through a cemetery talking about all his deceased colleagues.  He then says talks about how Gilda was the latest one to go.  The irony?  John died first (not last) and Gilda was 2nd to die (not 2nd to last),  a very eerie moment.

The NFL continues to find a way to go from my most favorite sports league to just below WTC (World Tiddlywinks Cooperative).  Folks, get it done NOW.  I don't know if they realize how much die hard fans love the offseason and free agent speculation but as of now, they are just wasting the time of our courts so that each side can greed as much as possible.  AWFUL!

Today's personal growth concept is:  Balance   If you dont think you are worth much, realize that to God you were worth dying for (and he KNOWS all of you!). 

Random meaningless quote:  "Sometimes "an eye for an eye" will only make everyone blind. - Unknown

Finally, I wanted to congratulate my wife.  She gave up soda as part of a focus on health for herself and I am very impressed.  I don't think she tried to prescribe herself the DrPepper Patch, which if you know her, is almost shocking.  KUDOS to a wonderful wife and mother.  She then went down with an awful case of strep throat and I am happy to say is coming out of it and hopefully will return to normalcy soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment