Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Note To Each Major Sports Commissioner

To Bud Selig:  I know this wont be popular but you need to suspend Scott Cousins.  I am well aware that he didn't mean to injure Buster Posey BUT what he did has got to be against the rules and ended the season of another player.  A small suspension would be worth it to MLB.  Contrary to popular opinion, Cousins did not do the right thing.  Since Posey was not blocking the plate and Cousins had a clear path to the plate, there is nothing legal to interfering with a player trying to catch the ball.  He should have been called out for interference and kicked out of the game for the severity of the hit to Posey.  MLB should make it clear that collisions by runners on fielders NOT obstructing the path to the base is not going to be tolerated.  For years I have wondered why breaking up a double play is legal.  The runner is already out and therefor should have no impact on the rest of the play.  Anyway, now that we have seen this problem impact a team's playoff chances, maybe we can fix this problem and make it safer for players to field their positions.  I think it is important to say I don't think Cousins tried to injure him and he was doing what he was taught to do, BUT that is what needs to be changed (especially since kids and recreational ball players to this all the time that leads to injuries that have no place in the game!).

To Gary Bettman:  After seeing the Nathan Horton incident where he squirted and then threw his water bottle at a fan, I wonder out loud if the NHL shouldn't make squirting heckling fans ALLOWED by rule.  If a fan is close enough to a player to be squirted and is heckling such player, shouldn't the player have recourse?  Squirting said fan with WATER (ONLY) would be a harmless recourse from the usually vulgar (and sometimes horribly inappropriate) heckler.  Players are people too.  Just because they are athletes doesn't mean they should be treated so rudely.  Fans should be able to boo and cheer and yell but not in the face of a player especially after a loss.  In this case, Bruins players were being pelted by hand drums by the classless TB fans after a loss and then players are expected to walk through a tunnel of rude drunk fans yelling obscenities?  I do not condone the throwing of the bottle at all but the squirting seems like a suitable response to me.

To David Stern:  Your league has great athletes, exciting plays, and intriguing match-ups but your officiating appears to be horribly biased if not completely corrupt.  One thing you could do is start instituting fines for unsportsmanlike conduct and issuing points to refs for horrible calls.  The first fine needs to go to LeBron James.  The flop he took in the playoffs vs Derek Rose was a complete joke.  Made your refs look horrible and your game a joke.  Rose ended the game with 5 fouls and thus may have impacted the entire game because LeCheat decided to take a dive.  His wink can and should be used against him in a court of NBA and he should be fined severely.  While I have a bias against LeBron to begin with, I can't imagine anyone out side of the Divacs family thinking his actions were anything but disgusting.  Mr Stern, I know the NBA wants WahBron to win a title but should they have to earn it without to appearance of help from NBA refs?  Refs should be instituted points for calls that upon review are horribly wrong and the refs with the lowest points for the season (per game called) should be your playoff refs.  Thus, maybe refs would stop trying to help your favorite teams, Mr Stern and call games cleanly.  (PS points should be assigned by a panel of ex-players)

To Roger Goodell:  Last week it was reported that the St. Louis Rams gave $25K to the Joplin relief cause.  While it impressed my wife, it disgusted me.  I wonder out loud how much money and time would have been given by the Rams and Rams players had the league not been in a lockdown.  The NFL and NFL players have always been very generous with charity causes but right now everyone involved is being frugal with money until play resumes.  This note goes to DeMaurice Smith too.  You guys have got to get it done now.  In this economy, I am not the only person to find it disgusting that our government has to foot the bill for you all to bicker in court!  Why not hire an independent mediator (where is Joseph Wapner when you need him!) who arbitrates (BINDING ARBITRATION!!!!) and gets this impasse solved?  It is a crying shame that charities will suffer, regular everyday employees will lose jobs and money, and the US government will have to pay people to hear the case in court!  Folks, it is disgusting now!

To those who follow my blog to follow my journey to good health, I will weigh in Monday or Tuesday.  Today the free app of the day on Amazon Appstore was Cardio Trainer Pro.  I am hoping to use this to help with my exercise regimen when I begin it.  Thanks to CP for alerting me to this!  I think I have been overeating so far this week, but my food choices have been very good, so I hope to better control portions and soon add some exercise.  I am nervous to get on the scale this week, but it will most likely be a good reminder to eat slower and watch portion control as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment