Monday, June 20, 2011

Putting THE Father in Father's Day

Yesterday was Father's Day and had me thinking a lot about a lot of things. As many of you might know, Lori's Grandpa Farrell has been in declining health.  He was put on hospice and then had to be moved to a nursing home as it was expected to be his final days.  This weekend was a crazy one as we were in and out of the nursing home, celebrated Alex's Birthday, and also father's day.  It was a true emotional roller coaster.

God was again there doing what he does best.  Multi-tasking!  He had a plan and it was good!  I wont be able to relay all the amazing details of how He awesome his plan was, but I will tell you a few awesome things He did:

  • Alex did not want Grandpa to die on his birthday.  He may only be 7 but he is really sensitive and we were so thankful that God chose to honor Alex's request.  Alex had a decent birthday overall, thanks to a party last week that went so well!  So, happy birthday little man!!!  You are the pepper of my life.  With you, everything is going to be interesting.
  • While I thought it would be appropriate for Grandpa to die on Father's Day, as there is no greater gift than getting to be home with Jesus, it was not the wish of his youngest child.  She didn't want it and I am very glad, yet again, that God chose to honor the request.
  • My kids got a chance to see him and we got a chance to make sure they understood what was going on.  By being honest with them and upfront, I expect when we have to tell them he has passed, it will be much easier.
  • I am generally a very self-centered person when it comes to things like Father's day.  This father's day was not very much about me.  This was His message to me.  It can't be about ME.  
In the end, a weekend which normally would have focused on Alex and I ended up being so much more.  For me, I got a great gift.  A clear and wonderful message from God; a lesson I wont soon forget.  See, this father's day, I was reminded that the best fathers on earth need to still focus on The Father even on father's day.  As for Grandpa Farrell, he spent father's day weekend being kept comfortable, listening to gospel music, and surrounded by family.  I can't help but think that there was no better way to spend father's day weekend for him.  Grandpa died at 1am the morning after father's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment